Monday, 27 January 2014

Gardening






In between the rain and the squall this weekend I tried to get some gardening done. We have an apple tree that is in serious need of pruning and various plants to tidy. It was good to make a start and brought me one step closer to believing in spring.
Finn was there to help as well. Now 10 he is keen to be trusted with more tasks and so I put him to sawing up the smaller branches into kindling ready for next winter. He loved it and made an excellent job of it too. He and his friend were also allowed to walk home from school on their own for the first time this week. I gave him much instruction which he bore with a patient and resigned look. I was making too much fuss and of course they were both sensible and delighted with their little bit of independence.

The rest of the weekend was left to simple pleasures; slow breakfasts, the baking of a loaf of bread, coffee and newspapers, drinks with some girlfriends, finishing of a novel, knitting and 'The Bridge'. Most of the above were done in front of the blazing wood burner. There are things to love about winter.

3 comments:

  1. Aaah The Bridge. How I love that programme. I am catching up on I Player at the moment. What a wonderful character Saga is.

    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great weekend!! I bet that Finn loved the combination of being allowed to do the sawing up and then walking home from school on his own! Getting very grown up. Hope that you have a great week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking just the same for our Barneywho is 10 too, wondering if we should let him walk up to the top if the village, across the playing fields to his friend's house by himself. Still wrestling with that but think he definitely should have a go with a saw! Thanks for the inspiration.
    Steph

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for taking the time to comment - I read every one and just love getting them xxx