Saturday, 11 January 2014

Irish Brown Bread


When Lou at Littlegreenshed mentioned her 52 loaves project I was captivated. She is such a creative person, full of ideas and projects and a constant source of inspiration. It is not for nothing that her blog is one of my favourites. This is an Instagram/ twitter project but when I tweeted my loaf I had a few requests about how to make it. It is super easy as there is no yeast. 
I love Irish bread, it is one of the things I look forward to when we visit. However it is easy to make and whenever I do I wonder why I don't do it more often. For this loaf I adapted a recipe from the Avoca Cook Book; Avoca being a fantastic woolen mill, shopping chain and clothing design team. Their beautiful shops often have a fantastic cafe attached and so they have produced several cookbooks too. 

Irish Brown Bread

200g strong white flour
300g wholemeal and seeded flour*
2 heaped tsp baking powder
Lg pinch sea salt
1 desert spoon treacle
600 - 900ml milk

* the seeds are important for the nuttiness of this loaf. I buy my flour from Waitrose 'Love Life' range but there are plenty or just add some extras to you basic wholemeal flour like wheatgerm, poppy seeds or whatever you fancy. The mixture is very forgiving.

1. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Add treacle and the milk a little at a time until you end up with a moist but not sloppy mixture. It shouldn't be runny.
3. Scrape the mixture into a well oiled 2lb loaf tin and bake  in a preheated oven. 20 mins at 240C/475F/gas mark 9 and then reduce heat to 150C/300F/gas mark 2 and bake for a further hour.
4. Run knife around the tin and ease the bread out. If it sounds hollow when tapped it is cooked. If not pop it back in the oven upside down and cook for a further 10-15 minutes. It can go directly on the shelf, don't worry about the tin.

A slather of good butter is essential here! Perhaps marmalade too - hoping to get that made this weekend. Anyone else?


2 comments:

  1. I like the sound of the seeds in this Karen! Very tasty I am sure. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this and loved it- thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment - I read every single one with pleasure.