Wednesday, 15 January 2014

The Year in Books



About a week ago Laura at Circle of Pine Trees (fantastic blog by the way) posted about her plans for a year in books. In no time at all people were asking to join in. The idea was to read a book a month and then blog a little about what we had read and whether we would recommend it or not.

It is a fantastic idea for me because I do well with a bit of structure and if I am totally honest since the book club I went to folded I have got worse and worse at reading. There is always something to do and the ipad is as easy to pick up as a book... damn Candy Crush.

So with renewed good intentions I am determined to read more this year. My pick this month is a Jonathan Coe book, given to me at Christmas, called 'Expo 58'. I have loved the books I have read by him so far and I was delighted to receive this one. I am also dipping into my very battered copy of Elizabeth David's 'French Country Kitchen'. I love to read cookbooks and feel comforted by re-reading books. Elizabeth David's style takes me back to a bygone age; her food leaves me drooling.

Head over to Laura's pine circle if you fancy joining in. She has also set up a group on the Goodreads site where there are further opportunities to share good read recommendations. I already know what my February book is going to be...

10 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you're joining in, lovely! What a gorgeous image. I have that mug too, it's a favourite of mine. I think that I have an inkling what your February book might be... if I am right, it's on my to-read list too! Looking forward to your posts. Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you enjoy it Karen, I look foward to reading your reviews and recommendations! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read anything by Jonathon Coe, though have heard of him. I will wait to hear more about it. And as for cookery books for reading, love Nigel Slater for that reason - oh and the food's rather delicious too!
    Enjoy the reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Nigel is one of my reads too, think 'Appetite' is my favourite!

      Delete
  4. Oh yes, I love Nigel Slater, he is really camp and bossy, and beautifully descriptive. I am reading "love, Nina"at the mo. It's not Tolstoy, but I think it's a funny, heartwarming read, which is always good at this time of year. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found you via the Year in Books link up. I love Jonathan Coe - my favourite is 'What a Carve Up' - and look forward to reading this too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea - I think I'll join in too as I really want to get back to reading which I've neglected due to on-line distractions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this post. One of my plans for this year was to make better reading choices, and this is exactly what I need to give me a kick! I hope you don't mind if I join in too x

    ReplyDelete

Please comment - I read every single one with pleasure.