Saturday, 8 February 2014

Hot Buttered Gin


What a windy,cold day it has been today. I was supposed to be taking Finn to Lonbon; we fancied a trip to the British Museum. However he woke up with the start of yet another cold and so we stayed home. We have snuggled in by the fire, baked cakes, played scrabble and watched the rugby. 

I'm not sure if it is the Olympic snow or our own horrid weather but tonight I felt that a warming drink was required. I have had it in mind to make hot buttered gin since a friend mentioned it to me before Christmas and hooray I had all that I needed. It was all I hoped for.

Hot Buttered Gin.

200ml pressed apple juice
50ml sloe gin
A few raisins
Stick of cinnamon 
Star anise 
Knob of unsalted butter
Sugar to taste (my homemade sloe gin is quite sweet so I added none, plus I am personally not a fan of too sweet)

Gently heat all the ingredients in a pan.
Pour into glasses distributing the bits fairly.

Serves two.

Easy, warming and delicious. We will be making these again feeling like extras in Mad Men go sking. I'm all about the apr├Ęs ski! 

7 comments:

  1. They look so pretty - like warm cocktails!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of hot buttered gin - rum yes, but not gin - this sounds very tasty though!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds a very strange drink but I'm sure it will taste nicer than I imagine! I think its the thought of the butter in it that has thrown me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh ... that gin I have to try ... I have all the ingredients and could do with perking up :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, don't think sloes grow in Michigan, drat! Hope the cold is better.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment - I read every single one with pleasure.