Wednesday, 12 February 2014

Year in Books - February



I am behind with my year in books. I actually finished my January book a good two weeks ago. I really enjoyed 'Expo 58' - it was everything you might expect from Jonathan Coe, a satirical look at British life with the usual tinge of dry humour. A little bit E.M. Forster with a touch of James Bond! 

This post was really designed to introduce my February book but I have to tell you that I have read my intended book - 'Shock of the Fall' by Nathan Filer. Once I picked this book up I found I was constantly looking for time to get back to it. A book that looks at grief, love and madness, it is Nathan Filer's first novel and he drew on his experience as a mental health nurse for his subject matter. I felt for the main character all the way  through and was totally absorbed by his journey into mental illness. It is a beautifully told story and one that will stay with me for some time to come. I would not hesitate to recommend this book.

Now I need another book! 


11 comments:

  1. I was considering reading this book - now you've sold it to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good read and one to add to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shall put this on my to read list.

    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'The Shock of the Fall' is also my February book and I've also finished it. I loved it too - Matthew is such a compelling character and his story is heartbreaking. Definitely one to wholeheartedly recommend! Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to be a bookseller and daft as it sounds, you need to be able to judge a book by its cover to some extent...and this one's cover caught my attention. I'm so glad you can recommend its contents too. With such difficult subject matter, the author has to be good to make it work. I may add this to my list....
    I really enjoyed 'The Children's Book' by AS Byatt...big, dramatic, historic and beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is nothing to say that you can't have more than one book of the month!! It is great when you find a book that you really love isn't it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bristol's rightly proud of its award winner. It was recommended to me even before the announcement and is high on my To Read list. Reassuring to hear another endorsement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've almost finished my book for February which I too couldn't put down. I saw this one in our local Bookshop last weekend and toyed with getting it. Might have to pop back for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I would enjoy "the shock of the fall". I have always been interested in mental health issues and have read a few non fiction books but I can't remember reading a novel that has mental illness at its core. I am glad you enjoyed it! Cx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the second time in the last couple of weeks someone has recommended this book. Will add it to my must read soon list. I've started the Jonathan Coe recently too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hoorah! I read my whole book this month, too, and then devoured The Rosie Project in a day. Shock of the Fall is on my to-read list as well! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for taking the time to comment - I read every one and just love getting them xxx